Turmeric vs. Curcumin
If you have been searching for an all-natural treatment for arthritis and other inflammatory health conditions, you may have started looking into a product called “turmeric curcumin.” If so, you may be feeling confused. Is turmeric curcumin a single herb, or is it two different herbs? How do you take them to treat inflammatory health problems? Is it enough to eat turmeric, or do you need to purchase turmeric curcumin in supplement form?
Turmeric is a plant that grows in India which has long played a role in traditional medicine. It also is used in cooking, where it is even better known. As a spice, it flavors food with a pungent taste and also provides curry with a distinctive yellow color. If you have eaten out at an Indian restaurant, you have doubtless tried at least one dish flavored with it.
Curcumin is a compound found in turmeric. Curcumin may be isolated and extracted from turmeric for use. This is essential, because the concentration in turmeric root is quite low—only around 2-5%. That means you have to eat a lot of turmeric to get an ample dose of curcumin. It doesn’t help that absorption can be tricky too.
Because it is the curcumin in turmeric which is responsible for so many of the health benefits, researchers have discovered how to extract it and package it in a highly concentrated supplement form. This is much more efficient than simply eating foods spiced with turmeric. Again, you would have to eat an absurd amount of turmeric to really glean the health benefits of the curcumin.
What are some of those health benefits?
- Curcumin is a powerful anti-inflammatory compound and thus can be used to treat a number of diseases. The most popular use for turmeric curcumin is in treating arthritis and other forms of joint pain.
- Turmeric curcumin can boost your body’s antioxidant capacity. This in turn can lead to a whole range of health benefits.
- With turmeric curcumin, you can reduce your chance of developing a brain disease. This includes Alzheimer’s.
- Taking turmeric curcumin reduces your risk of heart disease. The research here is very promising.
- Research studies have demonstrated that curcumin may actually be useful in preventing and possibly even treating cancer.
- Curcumin may stave off the effects of age. The damage of harmful free radicals is associated with the aging process, and the antioxidant capabilities of curcumin combat that process directly.
- With turmeric curcumin, you can experience an uplift in mood. There have been studies demonstrating that turmeric curcumin is as effective as Prozac in fighting depression, without the nasty side effects.
You can see why turmeric curcumin is such a popular supplement! There are few other supplements which can be used to treat such a wide range of different health conditions. If you do your research, you will find that these aren’t just anecdotal uses either; there are scientific studies backing all of them up. That body of research is only continuing to grow year after year.
So now you know the difference between turmeric and curcumin—and you can understand why sometimes you hear them referred to as if they are one and the same and other times they are spoken of as if they are two different substances. Just as you can get vitamin C from eating a grapefruit, you can get curcumin from eating turmeric. But turmeric in its raw form only has a low concentration of curcumin, which is why supplementation is necessary if you want to enjoy the full health benefits. A pill a day can help keep the doctor away.
Remember, when you are shopping for turmeric curcumin, it is essential that you purchase a supplement which is 100% pure and organic. That way you will be getting the full concentration you need without any unwanted additives. Take your supplement diligently and keep up with it over the long term, and you will see the most powerful results for your health.
Turmeric Curcumin Uses
When you think of Indian food, what is the first dish that you picture? There is a pretty good chance that it is a golden curry dish. Did you ever wonder what gives curry that distinctive yellow hue? The answer is turmeric. This spice has been used for centuries in Indian cuisine, but also in traditional medicine. Its numerous benefits are thanks to a special compound called curcumin.
In its raw form, turmeric does not contain a high concentration of curcumin. For this reason, the health benefits of eating this spice it dishes is only marginal. If you really want to get the full effect, you need to take a highly concentrated supplement instead.
Wondering what turmeric curcumin is used for? Here are some of the most popular uses:
- Arthritis and other inflammatory joint conditions. Turmeric curcumin is so powerful in fighting inflammation that it can easily compete with some of the top drugs used to treat arthritis. In fact, it is so effective that some patients who start taking it at a regular basis can actually stop taking their arthritis medications altogether.
- Alzheimer’s disease. Currently there are no treatments for Alzheimer’s which are particularly effective. For this reason, preventing the disease is essential. Since Alzheimer’s is an inflammation-related condition, turmeric curcumin may help to stave it off. It helps that the curcumin also can prevent oxidative damage, which is involved in the disease as well. On top of that, curcumin can clear away protein-based plaques called “Amyloid plaques” which accumulate as part of the disease.
- Other degenerative brain diseases. Alzheimer’s is not the only neurological disease curcumin can be used to prevent. There is an important hormone in your brain called BDNF, which helps your body to develop new neurons. With this hormone is lacking, the door is open to degenerative neurological conditions. But when you can increase that hormone, your brain has a layer of protection. As it turns out, curcumin can be taken to increase this hormone and prevent these degenerative conditions.
- Heart disease. One more popular use for turmeric curcumin is to prevent the possible development of a heart condition. In fact, patients who are already developing heart disease may find that taking curcumin may help reverse some of the processes involved.
- Cancer. Finally, one more potential use for turmeric curcumin is in the prevention and treatment of cancer. Researchers have found that the herb seems to reduce the spread of cancer, as well as the development of blood vessels in tumors. In particular, the science is promising with regards to preventing digestive tract cancers such as colorectal cancer.
While there may be other uses for turmeric curcumin (it does tend to be used as a general cure-all, like many other herbal supplements with long traditional use), those are the main uses which are backed up by scientific research at this point in time. Still, it would not be surprising at all if many other uses for turmeric curcumin are discovered in the future. The benefits are likely greater than we currently know.
If you want to use turmeric curcumin to bolster your health, the best way to do it is by taking a regular supplement. Remember, eating dishes that contain turmeric is not enough because the curcumin is present in too low a concentration to do you much good. In a supplement, it is present in a much higher dosage. Make sure that you are purchasing 100% pure organic turmeric curcumin from a reputable manufacturer. That way you know that you are getting the quality you need to make a difference!
Turmeric Curcumin Side Effects
If you have been looking for an herbal remedy that you can take for joint pain, you may have started looking into taking turmeric curcumin. This supplement has demonstrated powerful results in research trials, and is becoming an increasingly popular remedy alongside traditional arthritis medications. For some patients it is so successful that traditional pain meds are no longer required.
All of that sounds very promising, but you should be very careful what you put in your body. Is turmeric curcumin safe and side-effect free? What can you expect if you start taking it? Is there anything that you should be concerned about?
For most users this supplement is generally safe and side-effect free. Most research has been conducted within a short-term period, so it is suggested that you take a short break from taking the supplement after eight months. You can start up again later.
Taking an excessively high dosage of turmeric curcumin can cause problems, but this is par the course with any herbal antidote. There was a case where one person took 1,500 mg twice a day and developed an abnormal rhythm of the heart. Scientists are still not sure turmeric curcumin caused this at all, but it is best to take much smaller doses just to stay safe.
Some users do occasionally report the following side effects:
- Upset stomach
Thankfully these side effects are not all that pervasive or severe. Most people will not experience side effects at all. Contrast this with pain medications you may be taking now which may already be causing you to experience side effects. Wouldn’t it be great if you could get rid of the pain without paying a price to do it?
There are certain health problems which may interact with turmeric curcumin. You may want to avoid using it (or consult with a doctor) if you have any of the following:
- Problems with your gallbladder
- Bleeding disorders
- Iron deficiency
- Fertility problems
- Hormonal imbalances or conditions which are sensitive to estrogen
If you do not have any of these conditions, then you should have nothing to worry about. Most people find they can handle medicinal dosages of turmeric curcumin quite well.
There is another aspect to consider when it comes to evaluating turmeric curcumin for side effects, and that is whether you are buying a product which really is 100% pure turmeric curcumin. While there are some excellent products on the market, there are also a lot of inferior products which contain additives and fillers. These products may not even contain a full list of ingredients on their labels. Some of the other ingredients may cause side effects in some users.
For that reason it is vital to stick with a product which is manufactured by a company that follows the strictest quality control protocols. That way you know what you are getting in your bottle and you do not need to worry about taking anything unhealthy. Curcumin products that cause unusual side effects for a lot of customers may be contaminated.
The best way to find a product and a company you can trust is to read turmeric curcumin reviews. If reviews are positive and realistic, then you are probably dealing with a company that has a strong reputation for providing quality products. If you find a lot of bad reviews mentioning side effects, you probably should be looking at another product.
The bottom line is that 100% pure organic turmeric curcumin is a great choice for most people with joint pain, and can be used for quite a long time safely with few or no side effects. So long as you do not have any health conditions (or take any medications) which interact, a quality turmeric curcumin supplement may just be the joint pain answer you’ve been looking for.
Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric Curcumin
When it comes to supplementing your health, you will find few herbal remedies with as much sound scientific backing behind them as turmeric curcumin. Turmeric curcumin is also backed by hundreds of years of use in traditional remedies and cooking. What can turmeric curcumin do for you? Let’s take a look at some of the proven health benefits.
- Turmeric curcumin is ideal for fighting inflammation throughout your body. Inflammation plays a role in a number of different diseases, including arthritis, cancer, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, and even dementia. Curcumin fights inflammation at the molecular level in many different ways. Here is just one of the studies backing up its efficacy.
- Curcumin is an antioxidant. Here is just one study demonstrating its powerful properties. Antioxidants neutralize harmful free radicals in the body which damage tissue and contribute to the effects of aging. This means that taking turmeric curcumin on a regular basis may help to curb the effects of getting older.
- Turmeric curcumin is an incredibly potent treatment for arthritis and other forms of joint pain. The reason for this is that arthritis generally involves inflammation in the joints. Here is a study which demonstrates that taking turmeric curcumin may be even more effective than taking a traditional drug for joint pain.
- Taking turmeric curcumin may help to prevent heart disease. Here is one study that backs this up.
- Turmeric curcumin is good for brain health. Curcumin may boost the levels of an important hormone called BDNF in your brain. Researchers have found that patients with various brain disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease and depression, have lower levels of BDNF. This indicates that turmeric curcumin may be able to ward off these conditions by maintaining high levels of this key hormone.
- Turmeric curcumin may also have benefits for your mood. In this study, participants were sorted into three different groups, one that took Prozac, one that took curcumin, and one that took a combination of both. The researchers discovered that curcumin had benefits for depression similar to Prozac. In fact, the group which took both had the most significant improvements to their mood.
- It is even possible that taking turmeric curcumin may prevent cancer. There is even some evidence that it may help treat the disease. Here is one study which demonstrates the curcumin may be able to counteract the development of cancer at the molecular level.
You can see now why turmeric curcumin is becoming such a popular supplement with patients suffering from a wide range of conditions around the globe. Many supplements are backed by only the scantest scientific research, or are not backed up by any research at all. Turmeric curcumin is a rare exception in that there is an abundance of studies supporting its use.
If you’re thinking about taking turmeric curcumin, you may be wondering why you simply cannot eat a lot of dishes which contain it. While these dishes are certainly healthy for you, they do not contain turmeric curcumin in nearly the dosage that you need to experience clinically significant health effects.
For that reason, you will need to take a turmeric curcumin supplement which comes in pill form. This contains the concentrated extract that you need to experience the full range of health benefits. Make sure that you are purchasing your turmeric curcumin supplement from a company with a strong reputation and great customer reviews. Always check that what you are getting is 100% pure turmeric curcumin.
It is also important that you take the supplement consistently over a long-term basis in order to get the full effects. Many patients who have done this have reported that after a certain period of time they were even able to stop taking their traditional medications for conditions such as joint pain and depression. Give it a try; you should be impressed with the results.
Turmeric Curcumin Results
If you are looking for an herbal supplement that actually works and is backed by real science, search no further than turmeric curcumin. Turmeric curcumin is best known as an ingredient used in curry. It is what gives curry that recognizable yellow color.
These days, turmeric curcumin is no longer confined to the kitchen. It is starting to show up in more and more medicine cabinets. This is because in a highly concentrated form, it has a wide range of health benefits. Note that you cannot enjoy all these benefits simply by eating a lot of curry. Curry is very good for you, but you need a much higher concentration in order to get the dosage that produces real results.
Speaking of which, you are probably wondering about the results! Just how beneficial is turmeric curcumin? Is it worth it to go out and buy a bottle of turmeric capsules?
There are a couple of different ways that you can find an answer to that question. The first is to look at studies. The second is to examine customer reviews.
What do studies tell us about the results of taking turmeric curcumin?
- Turmeric curcumin is highly effective at alleviating joint pain and combating arthritis (1).
- This supplement has powerful antioxidant properties and can fight free radicals (2).
- With turmeric curcumin, you can protect cardiovascular health (3).
- Turmeric curcumin may be able to fight brain problems such as Alzheimer’s disease (4).
- You can take turmeric curcumin to fight depression (5).
- Turmeric curcumin can fight inflammation throughout your body (6).
- Researchers believe there is some hope that turmeric curcumin may even be effective against cancer (7).
If that is not enough to convince you that turmeric curcumin works wonders, just look up some of the top turmeric curcumin supplements on Amazon.com and other web stores. Check out the reviews and you will see amazing results.
- Turmeric curcumin is side-effect free for most users.
- Many patients report that turmeric curcumin caused such a reduction in their joint pain that they were able to stop taking their traditional medications for arthritis.
- Patients also report an uplift in mood as well as other positive health effects.
For many users, the improvements brought about by using turmeric curcumin are so pronounced that they are literally life-changing. Arthritis patients taking turmeric may be able to not only experience a reduction in pain, but also get back to activities that they once enjoyed.
You will probably notice some variation in turmeric curcumin reviews. Some patients have far better experiences than others. This may be due to a number of different factors. The treatment may be more effective for some people than for others. Patients who use the supplement consistently over the long term will also get better results than those who take it sporadically over the short term.
Another factor that can impact reviews and results is the quality of the product itself. Not all supplements are manufactured according to the same quality standards. Some are put together by companies that do not conform to FDA protocols. There is no regulation in the supplements market, which is why it is so hard to find quality.
Reviews can guide you to a product and a company which offer quality. The best supplements are those that contain 100% pure organic turmeric curcumin and are backed by excellent customer service.
So does turmeric curcumin have results? Absolutely! This is one of the most powerful supplements you are going to find for treating arthritis and a range of other health problems. Taking curcumin may prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. It is one of the healthiest supplements out there all around.
But to get the most out of it, you need to commit to using it with discipline. You should see some compounding benefits if you do. Give it a try, and you may very well be the next patient to share your turmeric curcumin results with the world!